Fennel (madhurika) is a spice plant that has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. It has antibacterial and antioxidant properties. It's good for the blood and liver. Enhances metabolism, digestion and strengthens the stomach.
- Taste (rasa): sweet (madhura), hot (katu), bitter (tiktha)
- Potency (virya): cooling (seeta)
- Post-digestive taste (vipak): sweet (madhura)
- Quality (guna): light (laghu), oily (snigdha)
- Constitutional energies (dosha): = VPK (balances the three doshas)
- Tissue elements (dhatus): plasma (rasa), blood (rakta), muscles (mamsa), nerves (majja)
- Channels (srota): respiratory (pranavaha), digestive (anavaha), nervous (majja), urinary, reproductive, blood and liver (rasavaha).
- Specific effects (prabhava): digestive fire (deepana), toxins (amadoshahara), anti-parasitic (krimigna), strength (balya)
Fennel home remedies:
When having a bad breath, bloating or indigestion add 1-2 tablespoons fennel in 1 l of boiled water.
For coughs, flatulence or metabolic problems consume 1-2 teaspoons of powder mixed with honey.